Hen fell off roost and died

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
I was out candling eggs under a broody with my sister after it got dark. All of a sudden, my 2 year old BO "Grumpy" fell off the roost onto the poop board. She fell on her back and was already in death spasms. What could have happened? It was so sudden. Here neck didn't appear to be broken, though of course limp. No other abnormal signs prior.

I appreciate your advice and feedback.

I’ve never heard of something like this happening but I think she might have had a seizure on the roost which made her spasm and fall off onto the floor. I don’t how she could have died without breaking her neck though.

Thank you all for your replies. I think it may have been a heart attack because of the suddenness. As BO's can be notorious for, she was the fattest and slowest of the flock. It was also hot today (98 F), but she passed in the evening so I am not sure how much that played into her death.

Dry fowl pox has been going around in my flock, but she was infected last year and immune. Speaking of pox, last year was hard for her because she got it in August. For some reason, she was the only one who felt heat stress or something; but she laid around all the time, sometimes with her eyes closed. Perhaps there is a connection?

I was out candling eggs under a broody with my sister after it got dark. All of a sudden, my 2 year old BO "Grumpy" fell off the roost onto the poop board. She fell on her back and was already in death spasms. What could have happened? It was so sudden. Here neck didn't appear to be broken, though of course limp. No other abnormal signs prior.

I appreciate your advice and feedback.
she was the fattest and slowest of the flock
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

It's very hard to know why a chicken suddenly passes unless you investigate further - either sending the body to your state lab or performing an informal investigation yourself. If you still have the body and are up to it, taking a look at the organs, inside the abdomen, etc. might give you some information. You mention she was the fattest - did she still lay eggs? Sadly, some hens (and breeds) seem to really pack on abdominal fat which can lead to Fatty Liver Disease and make it harder for them to lay eggs - not saying this was what happened, but something to look into.

Thank you all for your replies. I think it may have been a heart attack because of the suddenness. As BO's can be notorious for, she was the fattest and slowest of the flock. It was also hot today (98 F), but she passed in the evening so I am not sure how much that played into her death.

Dry fowl pox has been going around in my flock, but she was infected last year and immune. Speaking of pox, last year was hard for her because she got it in August. For some reason, she was the only one who felt heat stress or something; but she laid around all the time, sometimes with her eyes closed. Perhaps there is a connection?

I'm so sorry you lost your girl 😥😥 virtual hugs being sent!!

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

It's very hard to know why a chicken suddenly passes unless you investigate further - either sending the body to your state lab or performing an informal investigation yourself. If you still have the body and are up to it, taking a look at the organs, inside the abdomen, etc. might give you some information. You mention she was the fattest - did she still lay eggs? Sadly, some hens (and breeds) seem to really pack on abdominal fat which can lead to Fatty Liver Disease and make it harder for them to lay eggs - not saying this was what happened, but something to look into.
I wanted to home-necropsy, but it was late and father didn't let me. So we just buried her. She was still laying eggs though, in decent amounts too. If she had FLHS, wouldn't she have slowed down on the egg production?
I'm so sorry you lost your girl 😥😥 virtual hugs being sent!!
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom