hen fight.

mamabigbird

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Vancouver Island, B.C.,
We got two new(ish) hens two nights ago from our niece. She culls out her unfriendly ones and gives them to us. We have been lucky so far I guess because we usually just wait til dark and sneak the newbies in with the oldies. There has never been any problem other than small squabbles while sort out the pecking order. Well we did this with these girls who are both much bigger than our others. Morning came without much ado but the newbies wouldn't come down off the roost. So we took them off. One went straight back up while the other went out into the pen. Holey moley what a fight. It was like a rooster fight. The previously largest one got into it the worst and ended up a bitbloodied but okay. So I let all the oldies out of the pen to free range and locked the newbies in. Went in about an hour later and there she was on the nest and layed an egg.
So I've named her "the Dutchess of Yolk". What a gal. The other one is still intimidated and stays up on the roost. Might name her Sissy.

Yes, hens CAN joust. Mine sometimes frill out and strike out with non-existent spurs. The little Warrens usually do this to the great big Brahmas.

Sandie

Yes mine had their head and saddle feathers puffed right out and were doing the Kung Foo fighter kicks. Funny thing, it was my little old Isa Brown that broke it up. She got right between them and they settled down. She's the last survivor of a bunch of Isa's that I started with. She's got the biggest brightest comb and wattles so maybe she's the boss. The rest are all EE mutts with pea combs or rastafari hairdos so maybe her comb is intimidating to them.
GO FIGURE OUT A CHICKEN, EH?

Sounds like you have it down, but try switchin it up. Let all the newbies out first & let them be out and feeding for about 15 minutes before letting the others out. May work a little better.

Back
Top Bottom