1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen fight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aliciahess, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    So I got some new hens. Now they are fighting, aggressively. Is there anything I can do or do they just need to establish their pecking order?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    If you just get new animals and introduce them immediately, it's basically guaranteed that extreme violence will result. They need time to get to know one another from a distance.

Animals do not naturally just join up with new groups overnight; they take time to assimilate, associating for a few days to a few weeks around the peripheral of the group before trying to merge with it.

In domestic animals we can mimic this by putting new arrivals in separate cages for a week, so they can view one another with a safety barrier between them, and get used to one another and communicate dominance or submission by vocal and body language rather than having to resort to full on confrontations.

It's particularly dangerous if you put the new animals into an enclosed area that the original animals considered their territory, and even more dangerous still if it's breeding season or the animals are sexually mature. Male or female, it doesn't matter, violence will erupt in most cases.

Separating them for a week on average is the best bet.

Best wishes.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
  4. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks for the info! They have stopped fighting. We even got an egg from one of the new hens yesterday.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Glad the problem is solved. Congrats on the egg.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Good to hear. Best wishes with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by