Hen fine one minute dead the next

nelsonalisha1982

Chirping
Apr 5, 2022
Tennessee
I had a hen sitting on 14 eggs, this morning I noticed babies, 13 of the 14 hatched , but it's been pretty cold at night and lots of predators so I usually put the hens and little ones in a pen with hay and a heat lamp, because all of my chickens are free range. So I gathered the hen and chicks and hay took them to the pen, I turned to put more hay in and the hen was in a sitting position head down. I reached in to get her, she made a couple squats and died right in my hand, no warning, no symptoms other than when I was holding her gathering the chicks she pooped and it was runny and smelled horrible. I looked over her body and no visible signs of trauma. Has anyone ever had this happen?

I had a hen sitting on 14 eggs, this morning I noticed babies, 13 of the 14 hatched , but it's been pretty cold at night and lots of predators so I usually put the hens and little ones in a pen with hay and a heat lamp, because all of my chickens are free range. So I gathered the hen and chicks and hay took them to the pen, I turned to put more hay in and the hen was in a sitting position head down. I reached in to get her, she made a couple squats and died right in my hand, no warning, no symptoms other than when I was holding her gathering the chicks she pooped and it was runny and smelled horrible. I looked over her body and no visible signs of trauma. Has anyone ever had this happen?
I gave you some information on another thread, but hopefully others will chime in with suggestions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hens-dying-one-by-one-no-symptoms.734317/post-25568629

Back
Top Bottom