Hen flies right at me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thrustbucket, Aug 20, 2010.

1. thrustbucket

thrustbucket Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    I have one black sex-link that will, on occasion, start following me around. If I stop she looks at me really strange and will sometimes just fly right at my chest. She also has been known, in the coop, to try and jump on me, I think she's trying to jump on my head or shoulder?

I can't figure out if she is trying to be mean or what. She doesn't really seem to like to be held (none of my chickens do), but I'm trying to figure out how to interpret this behavior.

2. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome to BYC! I have two favorite hens who do that to me when they want attention. When they fly up I cradle them in my arms and usually cuddle and scratch around their ears for a few minutes....

3. Annabella

Annabella Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    Does she fluff herself up when running at you??
    Could be she's trying to dominate you - maybe you ought to pick her up and walk around with her.
    Either way then you'll win. If you is just wanting cuddles - you win! If she is trying to dominate you - you win!! [​IMG]

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Mine do that when they want to get on my shoulder or my head (that hurts without a hat).

5. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    She loves you!!!! Mine do not fly at me but will rush me and I almost trip!!

6. English Hen

English Hen In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Chicken love nothing like seeing acouple of your hens racing/flapping across the yard just to say HI well OK sometimes I encourage this by having a little snack on me 1 Silver grey Dorking 1 Goldenlaced Wyandotte 1 Bufflaced bearded Polish 1very big Standard Poodle also one great man & one man/boy 16

7. thrustbucket

thrustbucket Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    She doesn't seem like she's trying to be mean but I am new to chickens and their behavior. She usually only does it when the sun starts to go down and she 'settles down'. She jumps up on things and gives me that look where you just know she's looking to jump at me.

I am hoping it's out of affection of some type, but she is also the dominate hen (I only have 3) so i have wondered if she's trying to dominate me too.

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I had one fly straight up at me last night...but then again, I was carrying a little bag of dried mealworms! [​IMG]

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    If she only does it at night, maybe she is trying to get on top of you as you are the tallest roost around [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by