Hen flopping over, reluctant to leave coop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katmac555, Sep 28, 2015.

1. katmac555

katmac555 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    I have a 8 month old Belgian D'Uccle who over the past two days has seemed reluctant to leave the nest box. She also seems to be sort of tripping over - not unusual with her fluffy feet, but more pronounced. I was in their yard area all day creating a new palace of a coop for them yesterday, and most didn't lay as they weren't too impressed me being next to them with a hammer, so I thought perhaps she was egg bound from not laying yesterday. Can't feel any abnormality when I've given her the once over, but I've also never had a hen egg bound. I have given electrolytes in her water and tucked her in for the night, but as I was feeding tonight two other hens started attacking her - never happened before. I guess they can sense she's not quite right, so I will be keeping her in the coop for a few days. Any suggestions what may be wrong, what I can look out for, ways to help? Any help appreciated, I'm relatively new to having chooks with only 11 in my flock and a year of owning them. Thank you!

2. katmac555

katmac555 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Additional info: eating and drinking seem fine; no abnormality in poop that I can see. She seems to spend long periods of time in her coop/nest box then will come running up for pats/food then disappear again. No sneezing or discharge.

3. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I'm not familiar with that breed, and she's relatively young, but is it possible that she's just gone broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by