Hen Foot/Leg problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovethoseeggs, Jan 21, 2010.

1. lovethoseeggs

lovethoseeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    I am really at my wits end with this hens leg problem. She was seperated from the rest of the flock about 3 weeks ago when I thought I was about to loose her, however, she did a complete 180 and and is now doing great, except for the leg/foot problem. Some of the scales on one leg have come off, the foot was swollen about a week ago but she busted it open and all goo was release (it was really just like water down blood). I cleaned out the wound and put on some blue kote and placed her back into isolation. Earlier this week I put her back with the rest of the crew and now I have the current problem. She won't put much pressure on it and if she tries to walk she hops on it making sure she doesn't put much pressure on it. I am including two pictures of her legs/feet. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    It looks like either frost bight or an infection. Maybe bring her inside and give her a broad spectrum antibiotic. I would research more before you start though. Good Luck
    -mark

3. lovethoseeggs

lovethoseeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    Quote:Thanks for the reply.

I thought maybe frost bite, but will investigate more. It the rain stops tomorrow, will clean off the foot again to investigate more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by