1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen for sure, I think red prodution

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by missfitch, Nov 16, 2009.

1. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    My son was given this lovely lady for free! We just adore her! Had her from a day old (TSC freebee) she is Sweet and just the BEST! She started laying about 10 days ago she has laid 10 eggs and my only current layer!
    Let me know what you think, I think shes a red production.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She loves treats, and to free range (also known as following us around EVERYWHERE) She is pretty much now the head hen but nice to the others and shes a piggy!

2. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    She looks like a Red Sex Link to me. She could be a Hatchery quality New Hampshire.

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes, probably a Red or Gold Sex-Link. [​IMG]

4. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    I love her golden color, wish I had 5 more just like her!

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Looks almost just like my red sexlink Queenie from the "assorted reds" bin at TSC. She's my favorite hen, the only one tame enough to consider a "pet". She's the queen of the flock and buddy with the rooster. All around my hen with the best personality and my favorite buddy!

LUCKY you! [​IMG]

6. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    By the way her name is chicken nugget (4 year old named her his favorite thing)
    Here are baby pictures
    [​IMG]
    She is the tiny thing on the far left!
    [​IMG]

7. AtHomeDaddy

AtHomeDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was hoping for a definite answer, because my oldest hen look just like you new hen. We never were sure of her breed, so she was named M&M (Mystery Meat).

8. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    I hope she is not as sweet as mine and if she is you can't eat her, you have to ship her to me! LOL
    You know as a chick she was mean till she was about 2 months old and then she got all sweet and cuddly (a little too cuddly with my tomato plants!) and even though you can see the pecking order, she is not one bit mean, and she is the most tame thing ever!!!!

9. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    she's typical Gold sex-link (Golden Comet, Red Star, ISA Brown,Golden Buff some call them red sex-links) which are a hybrid production type brown egglayer.

very good layers of large brown eggs

I have 5 of them and they are the most gentle pullets I think I've ever raised about as bad as my dogs ,always in the way and under your feet while tyring to feed all the others.

catdaddy

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    With the pale coloring and white around the edges, she looks like a red sex-link. That red hen in your last photo looks like a production red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by