Hen found dead.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bonsai, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Bonsai

Bonsai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    This morning I woke up to go check on my hens. Then, the unexpected happened. I found my hen under the chicken stairs, dead. [​IMG] She was prefectly healthy last time I saw her. Half of her skull and both of her eyes were missing, and her legs and feet down the the bone. What could have killed her? My other hen and rooster are fine. I relize the other chickens might have pecked her after she died; but when I went into the coop to grab her, my rooster attacked me. Again, what might have killed her? I am determined to get revenge on whatever killed her, so my other ones don't meet her fate. [​IMG] Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

The rooster was just trying to protect her - he's probably worked up from whatever got into your pen to kill the hen. My birds never pick each other, so I can't be sure, but it sounds to me like a predator got into your pen.

3. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG] Without seeing pics and tracks it's hard to tell. Around here it's usually racoons. They are very smart and can even figure out simple latches. I hope you catch whatever it was!

4. Bonsai

Apr 3, 2011
    Without seeing pics and tracks it's hard to tell. Around here it's usually racoons. They are very smart and can even figure out simple latches. I hope you catch whatever it was!

I know we have raccoons around the area, but no latches were undone. I also know we have rats. I've seen them running the fence. There's a small enterance where the rodents could have got in; and that's where I found her dead. So, is it safe to assume that rats got to her?

The rooster was just trying to protect her - he's probably worked up from whatever got into your pen to kill the hen. My birds never pick each other, so I can't be sure, but it sounds to me like a predator got into your pen.

That's what I thought too. I wasn't mad at him.​

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's very unlikely that rats killed a grown hen. Move the survivors to a safe place and set a box trap with a 'light' trigger. Your killer will be back. [​IMG]

6. Bonsai

Apr 3, 2011
    Quote:Ok, I will set a trap. Thanks. Though, the rats here are huge. I think they might be sewer rats. Does that make a difference?

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It could of been a mink or weasel. So sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:That's sort of my gut feeling-- that's why I suggested triggering the trap 'lightly'.

9. Bonsai

Apr 3, 2011
    I don't think it could have been a weasel/mink. Those things don't live here in Sacramento. Or I've never seen them before.

10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Have you seen coyote, bobcat, foc, raccoon, opossum? Because they are there too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by