hen found on floor, one leg curled, VERY HEAVY (UPDATE - leg broken?)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peaches, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Peaches

Peaches Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    breathing hard - Put her in crate (found her just before dark) . this a.m. she is sort of sitting up. I'm wondering - she is REALLY heavy.. crop problem? egg bound? caused her to fall off roost and hurt her leg? I'm wondering what to do about this.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Jeeze, Linda, either one might cause her to be out of balance and make her fall...I might withhold food and see whether her crop goes down...and a warm bath might make her feel a bit better if she's eggbound.

She might be in pain from her leg, so that might be why she's panting.

3. Peaches

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Yeah... ok - so this morning eating, drinking, panting and clearly now, I thinkt he leg is broken, it is just sort of swings although she does not cringe when I handle it - no use of it. I don't know if I'm up for fixing a broken leg. Does anyone know how to set one and then maybe put her back out there to hange out - or if I keep her crated, how this might work.

4. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    It might not be her leg. Internal problems cause their legs to go lame...such as the liver. If there is pressure or pain internally, they will limp or not use their legs. Observe her carefully before you assume a broken bone. It is so difficult...hopefully someone else will be able to help you out with symptoms/diagnosis. Sometimes it helps to post pictures too.

5. friendlyearth

friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    We have a similar problem. Saturday morning when we let the chickens out one hen seemed to have a broken leg. We put her in a carrier and have provided food and water and let her out occasionally. She hasn't walked. Today she is breathing heavy and not eating. We are going out of town on Wed. I was hoping she would be better by then. Should we try feeding her with a syringe or just let her be?

6. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Looks like a back of the toe/foot issue in ours. There is a bump/swelling there. We are going to splint it and use masking tape. Also feeding her baby rice cereal with syringer every hour to make sure she is eating. I suspect a foot/toe injury would be very painful in a chicken (as in humans).

Will let you know how it turns out.

My daughter is the chicken lover and very attached to her chickens. She will be showing them at the fair this year and has really been doing good work taking care of them. Always a big deal when one is sick/injured.She is really worried.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  7. Peaches

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    well unfortunately, it IS a break and a bad one - ABOVE the elbow and completely - nothing I can do - no real way to splint it there.

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    so sorry about the hen...

friendlyearth..sounds like your hen has Bumblefoot..

do a search here, and you will find several threads about it..
    Bumblefoot is a bruise or injury that has become infected with staph infection and needs proper treatment asap.
    you can try making a poultice of sugar and betadine..apply to foot sore and bandage..
    check daily..
    she may also need a systemic antibiotic, such as Penicillin-G procaine..or follow a vet's advice.
    the sore may need to be lanced and the pus plug removed..
    there are several posts/threads about that here.

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Quote:http://www.avianweb.com/brokenlegstoes.html
    "....The following advice...given by a vet...
    "Cut two pieces of (strong)"├žloth'adhesive tape, align the bones as well as possible and place one piece of tape on one side and the other piece opposite. Squeeze the tapes together down each side of the tape with forceps , as close to the bone as possible, and then cut the tape close to the leg, maybe 1/16 ". After this run a bead of 'super glue' down both seams and let dry. The superglue holds the edges together and also strengthens the tape. A perfect little cast."
    Considering the position I would add to that some foam over that (tape) to aid in restricting movement. Separate to restrict movement...
    Give electrolytes if she is panting .

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  10. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    riendlyearth..sounds like your hen has Bumblefoot.. do a search here, and you will find several threads about it..

I will - she isn't doing well this morning - not sure anything will help her at this point.

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by