1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen gaping and wheezing badly for five hours straight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jemma Rider, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Jemma Rider

Jemma Rider Songster

Nov 25, 2017
    Maryland
    My hen Rosie is gapeing and wheezing very loudly and has been for about five hours. I just got home from visiting family, left yesterday morning and got back noon today. When i got home i noticed my chickens had run out of food, i thought i had given them enough for the day but i was wrong. I gave them food and all were eating fine. When she started eating Rosie was fine, but around halfway she started wheezing in between pecks until i moved her away from the food. I fed her until she was full by hand, i didn't let her rush so she wouldn't aggravate whatever was wrong anymore. Rosie has always had issues with her breathing but she's been fine since i put her on antibiotics around two months ago. I let her be for a while thinking that maybe she would fix herself but she's still wheezing. I gave her some organic cough syrup to hopefully soothe her which worked as a temporary fix before, (basically just honey and eccenatia) and one mil Tylan50 and set her on the roost where she still is now. I am very worried now, i don't know if there's anything more i can do for her. I wanted to separate her from the others but she gets what I'll describe as separation anxiety whenever i try, and i feel like it would be better to keep her stress down. Rosie has had problems since i got her, first it was bumblefoot and then her respiratory infection. After her first round of antibiotics she laid her first egg with me, her breathing improved and i haven't had any issues until now.
    i thought she was just inhaling her food, and planned to start fermenting the chicken feed this summer when i have more time. I'm going to start fermenting tomorrow, and work it in as a treat to start so it doesn't stress Rosie just switching to another feed. I don't know what else i can do:hit. Please help, thanks in advance. Rosie is an amerucana hen, just under two years old. A little on the small side I'd guess four to six pounds (my other hens are all around eight). I have a flock of four hens and one rooster, i have more hens planned in June to balance my rooster. Advice is appreciated, thanks in advance. The picture of her is from before she got sick, i don't have any pictures of her from today and she's in the roost now.

Attached Files:

2. abraga

abraga Songster

May 4, 2017
    Abingdon, va
    It's hard to say what to do. Is it possible she was so hungry she aspirated some food/water? That will cause labored open mouth breathing. If she seemed fine but started after eating i would suspect that. Bad thing is ..if she did..then she has something in her lungs.If she did aspirate ..the prognosis is not good. Usually they succumb to complications because they can't get enough oxygen. You also need to be very careful handling her or giving her medication at that point because if she struggles she may compound the problem. I'd give her until tomorrow to see if she recovers. If she has aspirated some food/water...theres not much you can do except wait and see if she recovers.

3. Jemma Rider

Jemma Rider Songster

Nov 25, 2017
    Maryland
    Thank you, i hope she turns out to be okay. I'll try to be extra careful with her, and keep the rooster away for a few days. I might just separate him entirely to be safe. Would continuing her on antibiotics protect her from getting an infection in her lungs? Or help at all? Thank you very much.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would agree that she could have gotten a piece of food into her airway, and she might be having stridor. It has gone on a bit long, though. You don’t have to ferment feed to give it wet. I give mine a little pan of watery pellets every day, and then I was out the pan daily. They eat the regular pellets for the rest of the day. Does she have any other symptoms, such as watery/foamy eye, nasal drainage? Has it been wet around your coop and run, or have you seen mold? You can try a dose of Tylan, and it can be given 2-3 times per day. Hopefully, though the sound will go away if it is stuck food.

Hen Pen Jem and Jemma Rider like this.
  5. abraga

abraga Songster

May 4, 2017
    Abingdon, va
    I would wait to see how she is tomorrow. If she is eating ..then u can put her on antibiotics . I've had birds aspirate ..sometimes they make it..other times not. I recently lost a cemani chick to aspiration. Her siblings knocked her n2 the water dish and she aspirated water. We could not save her. Good luck with ur hen!

Jemma Rider likes this.
  6. Jemma Rider

Jemma Rider Songster

Nov 25, 2017
    Maryland
    She has no other symptoms, she's had breathing problems before but they cleared up fine. Since it started while she was eating i think it's the asperation. I guess I'll see if she's okay or not eventually. I'll check on her later tonight and see how she's sleeping. I really hope she's okay, thank you for help, i don't think there's anything else anybody can do for her now but I'll see. She's a tough hen, i used to have an aggressive rooster and she would run at him with her neck feathers puffed out and fight him off. Thanks for your help.

7. Jemma Rider

Jemma Rider Songster

Nov 25, 2017
    Maryland
    Thank you, sorry about your chick.
    Thank your for your help, i plan to check in on her later tonight to see if Rosemond is any better or worse, I'm honestly scared to check on her after how horrible she sounded earlier. Other then her breathing earlier she was acting normal, i let her out to free range by herself earlier to give her some time to relax and she was being normal and even ate some grass so i guess Rosie has hope. She was pretty sick when i got her and her flock last October, it's just been one thing after another i thought bumblefoot was the worst that could happen. Thank you very much:)

8. abraga

abraga Songster

May 4, 2017
    Abingdon, va
    How's rosie?

9. Jemma Rider

Jemma Rider Songster

Nov 25, 2017
    Maryland
    She's great! I checked on her around one am last night and at five and seven this morning. She was still wheezing the first time i checked but she was fine next time amazingly. She's been completely normal since, i picked her up to listen to her breathing this morning and she sounds completely clear. I let her out to free range and she was completely normal and even sparred with my rooster a bit (they get along fine but have the occasional disagreement). The way she was yesterday sounded like she was dying. So she's on antibiotics twice a day, and I'm feeding her wet feed to. Thank you for your help, Rosie is my favorite hen she's so sweet I'm so happy, i think she's going to be okay :yesss::ya:woot

Cayuga momma and featherhead007 like this.
  10. abraga

abraga Songster

May 4, 2017
    Abingdon, va
    Awee...im so happy ur hen is doing well!

featherhead007 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: