Hen gasping for air is this respiratory or gape worm?

Kalista Potter

Chirping
Sep 25, 2019
Hello i have a small little full grown Belgium, Millie who is having trouble breathing is this a respiratory or gape worm?

Need advice thanks i appreciate the help

Video of her breathing below

Hello i have a small little full grown Belgium, Millie who is having trouble breathing is this a respiratory or gape worm?

Video of her breathingbelow

Video of her breathing below
Going to re-make a new thread it won't allow me to post a video of her breathing

Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, or a similar place, with a link posted here. Does she have any sneezing, coughing, bubbles in one eye, eyelid swelling, crackles when breathing, or gasping? Gapeworm is rare, while respiratory disease in chickens is not. Chickens suffering from gapeworm usually cannot eat or drink from struggling to breathe.

Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, or a similar place, with a link posted here. Does she have any sneezing, coughing, bubbles in one eye, eyelid swelling, crackles when breathing, or gasping? Gapeworm is rare, while respiratory disease in chickens is not. Chickens suffering from gapeworm usually cannot eat or drink from struggling to breathe.
Ok ill do that,
i haven't caught her sneezing nor coughing there's no bubbles in her eyes and no swollen sinuses or eyelid swelling so its not coryza. She does seem to be gasping/ratting breathing which has got me thinking respiratory from the start. But wasn't too sure has been really wet here then warm and just keeps repeating been having a wet spring so far.
By any chance does amoxcillion treat respiratory issues I have some on hand from a dentist appointment ages ago in a capsule(powder) 500mg would that do anything or does it need to be things like docycyline?

Here's the video link of her breathing:

Poor little thing. The most common bacterial respiratory infections are mycoplasma and coryza. Tetracyclines, such as doxycycline would be better for treating mycoplasma. Dosage is iffy, though, for chickens. Tylan 50 injectable given orally, or Tylosin powder in the water are preferable. Tylan 50 usually comes from feed stores in the cattle meds. Tylosin with doxycycline powder is available here:
https://jedds.com/products/doxy-tyl
Tylosin is available here:
https://pigeonsuppliesplus.com/products/tylosin-99-100-grams-pdr-pigeon-supplies-plus-line

Dosage for doxycyclinle for chickens is 5-10 mg per pound daily given orally for 4-5 days, depending on the organism treated. If you want to treat for possible gapeworm, which is very rare, fenbendazole Safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 consecutive days. Has she been able to eat or drink? Most chickens with gapeworm cannot eat. She could have a virus, as well, and those do not respond to antibiotics.

Poor little thing. The most common bacterial respiratory infections are mycoplasma and coryza. Tetracyclines, such as doxycycline would be better for treating mycoplasma. Dosage is iffy, though, for chickens. Tylan 50 injectable given orally, or Tylosin powder in the water are preferable. Tylan 50 usually comes from feed stores in the cattle meds. Tylosin with doxycycline powder is available here:
https://jedds.com/products/doxy-tyl
Tylosin is available here:
https://pigeonsuppliesplus.com/products/tylosin-99-100-grams-pdr-pigeon-supplies-plus-line
Yes for sure, thanks for the advice i think I'll give doxycyline a go. Can it however be too late to treat a respiratory infection like she has if it is respiratory issue.
Will it ever be too late to start treatment in otherwords.

Dosage for doxycyclinle for chickens is 5-10 mg per pound daily given orally for 4-5 days, depending on the organism treated. If you want to treat for possible gapeworm, which is very rare, fenbendazole Safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 consecutive days. Has she been able to eat or drink? Most chickens with gapeworm cannot eat. She could have a virus, as well, and those do not respond to antibiotics.
Thank you for the info on doxycyline.
Yes she's been able too however,she doesn't really seem too interested to eat. she does have the occasionall peck here and there and she has filled her crop up a little but I'll check her tmr/later and give her a special treat like scrambled eggs and she how she goes.

If this was viral is there any form of way knowing( like symptoms sort of thing?) and how long would a viral respiratory last?

Back
Top Bottom