Hen gasping for breath, yellow mucous out of mouth, listless, sudden.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zoomom, May 16, 2010.

1. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi,
    I hope someone will be able to help my chicken. Thank you for any responses.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Polish hen, just turned 1 year old, 3 lbs, never laid an egg.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. She had been holding her one eye half closed yesterday, but otherwise was eating and enjoying the raised perch outside. This morning I went to open the door so they could come outside, and she was sitting in a corner with her head up gasping for air, some thick yellow mucus coming out of her beak, her tail down, pumping a little bit. When I went to feel her she tried to run away. I didn't feel an egg stuck. Her crop is not completely empty. While I was giving her the probiotics and electrolytes, I could hear it gurgling. It seems to have air in it. Her eyes are half closed except when I stimulated her by trying to pick her up. (She is tame.) Her wattles are pale with a blue center, like she is not getting enough oxygen. After she had about 2 ml of probiotics/electrolytes, her wattles got pinker. She was having trouble swallowing it, so that was all I gave her. I will give her more a bit at a time.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Happened overnight.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. They are outside a lot, so wild birds could theoretically contaminate them. They ate some dandelions from our garden and some whole grain bread crust yesterday along with their regular crumbles and a half cup of scratch in the evening between 4 birds. They also were fighting over a couple of 2 week old freshly killed mice (leftover snake food-for sure not contaminated with poison.) They have had all these things before. We do not use any chemicals in our garden.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Not that I see, but she has access to water with ACV and a bit of scratch where she is. I put the wire mesh divider in, so the others can't bother her.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. No poop so far, all poop in her area is normal, but it could be from the others, as they roost overnight in the area I isolated her.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Clean out the mucus with q-tips and I was going to give her some probiotics and electrolytes after I typed this up, and possibly antibiotics. I have some other bird medications, too, but I don't think they fit her symptoms too well.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to give her a chance, but she will be treated at home. If she seems like she is getting worse or suffering and she doesn't turn around soon, I will euthanize her.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I'll take a pic, then attach it.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Open air two story coop (all the front is open mesh) with a small outside run with a dirt floor. Well ventilated, pine shavings. Was treated with whitewash before the chickens moved in last August. I do some spot cleaning, and there was a big clean out in March. They have been dusted with DE a few times a year, but not since MArch.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!

Edited to add changes after administering electrolytes and probiotics.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    cull quickly
    a sick chicken gets you more sick chickens

3. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, I will cull if she doesn't look up by the end of the day.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree. Mucus is very bad. The only solution for me would be to cull immediately.

5. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up putting her down.
    She didn't look any better since the electrolytes and probiotics, and I didn't want to see her suffer or have her contaminate the others any longer.
    R.I.P. Perdita the Silver Laced Polish. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by