Hen gasping/wheezing: no other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nebbo, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Nebbo

Nebbo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Kingston, WA
    One of my RIR hens, only a couple of years old, was standing on the floor of the coop gasping for air when I went to lock up tonight. I brought her in to the house and found no wounds, swelling or other problems. No visible blockage down her throat, and crop feels normal. I'm guessing either infection or worms, so I made a mash of ground pumpkin seeds, honey, garlic, and a bit of liquid aminos to soften it all up and prevent choking. She happily gobble some up between gasps for air. Also applied a dose of wormer (eprinex) since I haven't done that in well over six months. Tomorrow I'll worm everybody.

[​IMG] Right now I'll be surprised if she makes it to morning. She's in a cat crate in a warm room, but she sounds worse instead of better.

Thoughts? I'll give an update for better or worse tomorrow.

Thanks,

Neb in Kingston, WA

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I've heard others mention something called gap worm. Personally, I have no idea what it is, but doing a search on BYC may bring you some insight?

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I had the same thing happen to a rooster I really liked. The best I can tell he died from aspiration pnemonia (if I spelled that right). You might look it up. Mine died literally in a few hrs. He'd been dewormed with followups so I'm sure that wasn't the problem. Come to find out it's not uncommon for that to happen.
    Edit: Gapeworms don't hit them that fast out of the blue.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  4. Nebbo

Nebbo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Kingston, WA
    Yeah, I don't think it's gapeworm. She was fine yesterday. May not be pneumonia, either, since it came on so fast. Bottom line: she just breathed her last, I'm sad to say. This went so quickly that I'm guessing congestive heart failure or somesuch. She struggled a bit right at the end, and then was gone. I was holding her in a towel in my lap so she wouldn't flail all over. Poor baby. Just glad it only took a few hours.

Thanks for the responses! I'm still going to deworm tomorrow. It's been awhile and they're not laying much right now, so it's time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by