hen gasping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by navella, Jul 25, 2013.

1. navella

navella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    portland. oregon
    I have a chicken that looks as if she is gasping for air. Is there anyone out there that knows what it might be. And if so what can I do about it.This happened before to another one of my girls and she died. I'm sure this will happen again if I don't find out what it is. Please help!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry, but there is not enough information. Did your other chicken have mycoplasma or coryza, or one of the other respiratory diseases? How old is the chicken and does she have any other symptoms such as sneezing, nose or eye drainage or crusting, eye bubbling or face swelling? Dusty conditons and ammonia odors of built up chicken droppings can cause some breathing issues.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I agree with Eggcessive ...

Could also be gapeworm or a fungal mouth infection... please help us to help you by providing as much information as you possibly can.

4. navella

Oct 8, 2012
    portland. oregon
    their area is very clean. She has no other symptoms but the gasping. I'm new to having chickens so when my last chicken died of what appeared to be the same thing,I had no idea what it was that caused it.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some things like cedar shavings can cause breathing problems in chickens. Here is a link to common diseases to learn about respiratory disease: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is this chicken? Sometimes gasping can be the only symptom of Mareks disease in a chicken. Usually it affects chickens 6-12 weeks, but some strains can happen a little earlier and even after chickens have started laying eggs or molted. A necropsy is the only way to find out. Here is a link to state vets who do necropsies: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

7. navella

Oct 8, 2012
    portland. oregon
    Thanks everyone for all your help!!

8. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    How is your hen doing? I have one showing the same symptoms. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by