Hen Getting Picked On

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EmilyChickens, Feb 1, 2013.

1. EmilyChickens

EmilyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    I have a buff orpington hen that is molting in the middle of winter. I also have 11 other hens and a rooster…my one dark Brahma is picking on the buff orpington. Can someone tell me what I can do for her???

THANKS! EmilyChickens

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

you could put the brama in a time out :) do you have a crate or some way to separate the brama out for a bit? start with just a couple hours. How about making a saddle/dress for the orpington? I used fleece material from a pair of pants.

check it out, these aren't mine but this is what I copied. :)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/112898/saddle-patterns-pics-added

Should help keep her warm too. But do keep an eye on her and see how it works out. I fiddled around with several attempts at a good fit. And the ones that didn't fit one hen, might fit another.

I also have made protective saddles out of duck tape. Worked great and protected the hen while new feathers grew in. The tape saddles get dusty and fall off on their own. Not what I'd use first in cold weather though but who knows. If your orp hen is getting blood drawn, you definately have to cover it with stuff like blu kote medicine to deter the pecking.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. EmilyChickens

EmilyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Thank you so much!!! I made a fleece dress for her and it worked perfectly! I al so glad that she is better now and that you were able to help me. Now I know what I have to do. Oh and sorry it too me so long to respond the Philly homeshow was this week.

Lots Of Thanks-
    EmilyChickens

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by