1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hen go back to a nest that has a dead chick in it~incubating/hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GaNewChick, Jul 20, 2010.

1. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    She was on a nest in the pompous grass ... 1 hatched and was out walking around with her today. Another tried to hatch but died in the shell. One was completely hatched but dead. Would she abandon the nest because of the dead chicks ~ there were ants, and the one in the shell was stinking.

I gathered the eggs up and candled them. It appears someone else has been laying their eggs in her nest too. Some looked like they are ready to hatch any moment (couldn't really tell if they were alive, but thought I saw movement). 4 of the eggs looks like they are on about day 9 or 10??? I put them in the incubator ... I did not use the turner, for fear, if any hatch they will get caught in it. The others will have to sit for about 48 hours (I guess) while I wait and see if the others hatch. Either ~ or, should I put them in the turner in a day or two?

Should I have even messed with them? These hens are not people friendly ... no touching them.

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010

2. abooth

abooth Songster

You will probably lose the ones that you leave out of the bator. 48 hours is a long time for eggs to cool off. If it were me I might put them all in and try to hand turn the ones that are not as far along and just let the ones that are about to hatch sit still.

3. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I put them all in the bator at once. 4 appear to be around day 9 or 10 ... 3 appear to be able to hatch at any time. So I have a split hatch by a week or better. I was going to leave them on the floor of the bator to see if any hatch, if none do within a day or so, put the turner back in for the remaining 4.

Do you think this will work?

I am trying to keep from opening the bator to turn some eggs, while the others need to be on lock down in order to hatch.

Thanks everyone...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  4. abooth

abooth Songster

That sounds good. Lockdown is more important than turning the less developed eggs they say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by