1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen goes Broody!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pnptrapp, Nov 9, 2015.

1. pnptrapp

pnptrapp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Sorento, IL
    Hello!

It's been a while since I've posted here. Mainly because it's been many years since we've had a flock of laying hens. We do raise quite a few meat birds in chicken tractors, and are now getting back into the laying hens. My husband built an amazing small coop. Big enough for a few birds. We've had a cochin hen for a while now who would go broody about twice a year, so when we got our Jersey Giants, 2 roos and 2 hens (not by design) I figured she'd be the one to start sitting on the eggs. But much to my surprise one of my Jersey Giant hens are sitting. She's been sitting for about 2 weeks now so hopefully in the next week or so we'll be seeing some much anticipated chicks!

Here's a picture of my broody girl.[​IMG]

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Beautiful! One of my JG's decided to set this past year. I really wanted some turkey poults and none of the turkey hens were willing, so this happened!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  3. pnptrapp

pnptrapp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Sorento, IL
    It's amazing just how willing to mother these ladies are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by