Hen goes from calmest chicken to most hyperactive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laircy, Dec 20, 2016.

1. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    Maran used to be so calm just a couple weeks ago, she would sit in a box in our house with us for long periods of time and not try to get out. Now she runs everywhere and has escaped from the backyard about 5 times, running down the street and even across the street. Her general movements also seem frantic and rushed. The difference being now she is laying regularly again, while she hadn't been laying for a while. [​IMG]Any chance she might simmer down again? Or suggestions, or commiserations. I just felt the need to share.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The way you describe her mellowness, could it be possible that she was broody?

3. leoChickens

leoChickens Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    St.pete florida
    Chickens do have these periods were ALLL they can THINK ABOUT is world domination. Now its nothing to be scared of. She will pass this phase after she trys to take down the white house! The escaping is her way of saying. Bye gonna take over Mexico now. Now if u dont do anything and let her run free she mighy succeed and become supreme leader of chickentallay!!! So be careful!!! Good luck

4. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    No, she wasn't acting broody, which I've seen is a bit different. They make that clucking noise and puff up and refuse to walk around. She would act normal, just stay put if we set her in a box or on the vet's examination table though.

[​IMG] Hehe, that's gotta be it.

Man, I'm watching her eat grass right now and it's like she procrastinated on stocking up for the winter and she's only got 10 minutes till hibernation hits.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  5. leoChickens

leoChickens Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    St.pete florida
    she must have been raised by bears! That would explain her running away! Give her hunny and she should snap out of it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by