Hen going blind, or what? Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JudyMcKinn, Sep 17, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I have a hen, about 2 years old, who has gotten listless and sits on the roost most of the time. She seems to have lost feathers around her eyes, and the skin around her eyes seems red and maybe a little swollen. This isn't a large patch, just sort of encircling her eye. She sits with this left eye closed most of the time, and the right one open. If you say something to her, or touch her, she opens the left eye, but if you move your hand in front of it, she doesn't respond. Apparently has become blind in that eye. She doesn't have mites or lice.
    I had another hen like this about a month ago, did about the same thing, and got so she was twisting her head around as tho in pain. I put some Tomorrow Dry cow treatment in and around her eye, thinking this might help, but didn't, and I finally put her down because she was almost gone, anyway, and seemed to be suffering. Anyone have any idea what is wrong here?

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I have no idea what's going on but I would strongly suggest a necropsy if this bird does not make it. It sounds like you've got something that is contagious in the flock.

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Eye worm maybe?

4. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Eye worm?? What's that? And what do you do about it?

5. Pine Grove

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    I'ts a worm that effects the eye causing redness, swelling and blindness, Not saying she has one, But they are often overlooked..Does she scratch at her eye?

6. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Sometimes she scratches at it. Is there anything I can do? Sounds like it might be what she has. And it looks like a couple of my other hens is losing the little feathers above their eyes, or might be my imagination--I hadn't paid much attention to how many little feathers were around the eyes, and how close.

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Judy, I found this article at the following site. I hope it helps.

http://www.geocities.com/KelliAnn293/parasites.htm#Poultry Eye Worms

Poultry Eye Worms

This worm is very harmful to poultry in the Southern States of the USA .Hawaii , Philippines and other subtropical areas. It is a small white worm that lodges in the corner of a chicken's eye. The eye becomes swollen, inflamed, and watery. Impairing the chickens vision. The eyelids may stick together and the eye may turn cloudy and eventually be destroyed. The chicken may try to scratch the eye to get rid of the irritation.
    Eye worms have a indirect cycle. When the worm deposits the eggs in the eye, they pass into the tear duct, they are then swallowed by the chicken and expelled in droppings, and are eaten by the Surinam cockroaches. When the chicken eats the infective cockroach, worm larvae migrates up the esophagi to the mouth thru the tear duct, and into the eye. Wild birds are also infected, and they help spread the Eye Worm to chicken flocks. To control eye worm you must control the cockroaches around the chicken houses.

NOTE THESE BIRDS IF INFECTED AND HANDLED BY YOU CAN LEAVE THE INFECTION ON YOUR CLOTHING OR SHOES AND YOU WILL CARRY IT HOME, OR YOU WILL BRING IT HOME WITH INFECTED BIRDS.

Be sure and never wear the same shoes or clothing to the bird barn that you wear visiting a bird owners barns.
    The eggs of the disease are in the fluid of the eye of the infected bird. The bird carries a high fever and the fancier needs to doctor it immediately. Use a medicine called VETRX and put it directly into the eye, around the eye, down the throat, and in the water. Do this three times the first week and twice the second week and should clear it up. Continue to put the VetRx on the eye for 4 weeks.​

8. Pine Grove

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The loss of the feathers could be from her scratching, or moulting as they lose these feathers also, Vet-RX in the eye for three days will kill the worm, If in fact it is a worm. If not it will do no harm, Cockroaches are the intermediate host of the eyeworm, other definitive hosts are turkeys,ducks,guineas,peafowl,pigeons and quail...Actually there are two types of eyeworms that affects chickens. keeping them on a monthly worming schedule with Levamisole or valbazen and you will have no problem with either of the two

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  9. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks, Becky, Gads, that doesn't sound too good, does it? Probably what I have, tho I don't know if I am far enough south--live in SW MO.??

Pine Grove, how do you give the wormer? I haven't ever wormed--probably need it, anyway.

10. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    You all I'm having a tough time with the idea putting vet rx in the eye. Doesn't it contain camphor?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by