Hen gone broody and attacking other hens! should I move her?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by easton coop, May 12, 2010.

1. easton coop

easton coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    Hi All, Our best laying hen (Silkie mutt), has gone broody! we moved her from the next box and collected the 4 eggs she was sitting on. Our worry was that the hens all lay in the same box, although we have 2 boxes! after moving her a second time she went into the run and started attacking one of the other hens, after a squabble they settled down, but now and then she attacks!

Should I let her sit in the next box and hope the others will use the other box (which is next door)? or should I move her away from the flock? I really don't want our little one to be harmed by a broody hen!!

We have had the hens for a month now, so we are quite new to keeping them!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I always put my broody hens off by themselves with a fence around them. I've hatched two broods inside the coop, and two outside, and have one going now...inside. I use dog crates because that is what I have. I wrap the wire ones in a tarp, but use the plastic (airline ones) without. I put them on the floor.

I recently made more nesting boxes out of rubbermaid bins...buy ones that have straight sides rather then tapering towards the bottom. They sit more even when on their sides. I used a dinner plate as a pattern, drew a circle on the top and cut it out with a jigsaw. Make sure to buy one that the tops stay on well. Make the hole more towards the top rather then in the middle so the shavings or straw stays in. They are working well, and are easy to clean.

I put food and water inside a small fenced area if the crate is inside the coop, but also put food and water in the outside small runs if they are isolated outside. When they are inside...one hen wanted outside when she got off the nest and would go out first thing in the AM with everyone else. The other one just used her mini run and never wanted out. You can tell if they want 'outside' as they will pace the mini run.

A 'fence' can consist of nothing more then a length of any fencing put in an arc, and just rested against the wall...a corner works well. That seems to be enough to discourage the broody from attacking, and keeps the others away from her. Mine seem to like being cloistered so I got opaque colored bins rather than clear or cloudy-white ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by