hen gone broody...and chicks coming next week..oh, and I'm brand new to chickens HELP!

Fraunie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Elfin Forest
For the past 7-10 days, Ivy the australorp has been spending most of her day in the dog crate, aka nesting box. She sits on any egg in there, some are hers, some are from the two other hens. She will let them in the cage with her to lay, then chases them out and sits on the egg.

At first, I was taking her eggs at the end of the day and pulkling her out and pputting her in the coop for the night. The past few nights I have just left her in the cage because I wasn't sure what was best. She gets ****** when I pull her out and then the other hens peck at her when I put her in the coop and she just sits in a corner by herself...won't roost.

After reading a bit here, though, I realized I might have another option. A class at my daughters school is hatching eggs, and we are set to get 6 RIR chicks next week sometime. Should I try to slip them under broody at night??? Let me rephrase that...I would like to TRY to slip them under her to see if it will work...but here are my questions....

HOW do I do this? I have never had chicks before. What equipment would I need for Ivy and the chicks if she acccepts them...and what would i need to have on hand if she doesn't. I've sort of been planning on putting them in a plastic tub with shavings and heat lamp and then worry9ing about the rest as I go. How would I do this if I tried giving them to Ivy? Should I seperate them from the rest of the flock?

I'm going to go read some more...but any help or direction would be appreciated!!

Fraunie

Sweetlilbaby

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Tacoma Washington
If she accepts them you just need chick starter (feed).
I helped my dad do that as a child. He'd put rubber gloves on, slip a hand under the hen putting two or three chicks under her at a time, and when putting them under he'd take the eggs. Just set the chicks under her and pull out eggs. a broody hen always seemed to be very accepting of any chicks.

If she doesn't accept them you need a container to keep them in (a tall sided rubbermaid tote works), a heat lamp, small dish for food, chick starter, and something for watering them that they cannot fall into. oh and bedding (I've used straw, sawdust, or even shredded paper)

Top Bottom