Hen gone broody; DON"T want to hatch chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Goyo's Girl, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Goyo's Girl

Goyo's Girl Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2010
    Walla Walla, Washington
    My nearly 1 year old BO has gone broody. This is my first experience with broodiness and I want to handle it correctly. Since I don't want any hatchlings at this time, is it OK to keep removing her from the nest box and putting her out in the run with the rest of the flock? She would sit in the same box all day (and night) if I let her...even without eggs under her. She's not laying but will sit on other's eggs, all puffed up and chittering at me. She stays puffed up even when I put her out! The other hens seem to be picking on her a bit, perhaps since she's acting strange. I'm hoping she gets over this soon, but want to handle it correctly in the meantime. Any advice? thanks

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Don't know what to tell ya, i got 8 broodies in the nest box area and keep pulling eggs from them, then this morning i find 13 baby chicks with a hen, found her nest in some weeds in my front yard, i can't stop them no matter what i try.

I got her penned up now with babies in tow, she was not happy with me at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by