...Hen gone broody in Jan. - is this wise? & her eggs are dirty???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TJ, Jan 21, 2008.

1. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Hello, I have a black australorp hen that has gone broody and is setting on a clutch of eggs. It is the middle of January and I'm wondering if it is wise to let her continue... Should I break her of it? Let her set and see what happens? I've never had eggs hatch under a hen so I don't know what to expect... Please advise.

Thank you!

TJ

PS - yes, I do have a rooster so the eggs are most likely fertile.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I don't know if it's wise or not...but mine is on day 9 with 9 eggs. It got down to 10 degrees last night. I have a heat lamp in her coop but she appears to be doing just fine. I think it is going to be just fine. She will keep them warm....

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Let her sit and see what happens.....JMO:D

4. TJ

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    ...Okay, thanks you two for the response! I'll let you all know how it goes... [​IMG]

TJ

5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Question for ya, I gave mine 12 eggs on the 8th, do I count the 9th as day one, so they should hatch on the 23rd,(not counting my chickens before they hatch, but what day should I start looking to see if they hatch.

6. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    My little Chickee is on 13 eggs, and mdducks, I gave her 12 eggs on the 8th and a couple days later when she was off the nest I counted and there was 13 under her. She seems to be doing fine, I have a heat lamp fairly close to help her out a bit, it has been -20 for a few days and she is still keeping them nice and warm. Crazy time to be broody in Canada!!

7. TJ

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    ...Lawsy mercy, I'm supposed to count the eggs under her? I know there's got to be at least 10 - she's been sitting on them for about a week now...I was gonna take them away from her but I don't know if something has already started??? I'm a big dummy when it comes to this - I've never had it happen before. The hen is a sweetheart and I kind of hate to rain on her parade, so to speak...

...Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

TJ

8. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Does she look like this????

[​IMG]

I had to seperate mine from the rest, I marked the first set of eggs, on day 2, I put her on the ground, and she was on 18 eggs, and not covering them real good either, so I put a barrier between her and the others now only has the original 12, best of luck with yours, weve been in the teens last couple of nights, and didnt think to give her extra heat. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  9. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    I think you are alot warmer where you are than here, although it is warming up today.
    Still curious as to when we start counting day one??
    Good luck everyone with the hatch.

10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Chickee's Mom :

I think you are alot warmer where you are than here, although it is warming up today.
    Still curious as to when we start counting day one??
    Good luck everyone with the hatch.

Yeah were definately warmer, in fact I allowed her to start setting, because it was in 60's for almost a week at the time, I think the getting warm then cold threw off her timing.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by