Hen gone broody on other chickens fav. nest! (Help!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bledsoe95, Jan 12, 2011.

1. bledsoe95

bledsoe95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    My buff orp. went broody on some of the other hens fav. nest they go to other nests sit down for a minute & then go to the nest with the brood hen. Will they lay in one of the other other nests or what will they do?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Mine just squashed themselves in with the broody and laid an egg next to her, which she would then scoot under herself. Eventually I moved her to an enclosed cage with a nesting box and let her set. Otherwise you will have chicks hatching at all different times, making it a bit difficult for her to take care of the babies that hatch first.

3. bledsoe95

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    Ive tried moving her but he wont pay any attention to the eggs.

4. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Can you put some thing around her to keep the other hens out? You will end up with broken eggs and eggs that will not hatch all together.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Do you want to keep the brooding hen setting? Then move her to her own place well after dark. She needs to be by herself with her own food & water. It can be a kennel, cage, a different pen, or a barricaded section of the main coop. Make her new place shady with extra feed bags or whatever for a few days to encourage her to stay there. After a few days it should be apparant whether or not she'll stick with the job. If you want you can then swap out the eggs she began with for others you'd rather she hatch.

Make any changes with a broody hen after dark, they're less aware at that time.

6. bledsoe95

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    Yes i want her to sit but i dont think she'll stick with it any pace else.

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    put her in a small enclosed safe place she should settle in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by