hen gone rogue and pecking other hens bottoms.....

christina09

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
kennewick,wa
So any suggestions on my hen that started picking on the others????i have segragated her from others but i know i cant forever... do i clip the beak, file it down or get rid of her??? she did damage and she just keeps charging all of them right for the bullseye!

Keep her separate for a couple weeks. After returning her to the flock she should be low enough on the pecking order that the others won't let her continue with her nasty behavior. If she continues with the behavior I would cull her.

I had a few feather picking hens, which turned into several feather picking hens after a while. Unfortunately, the only way I was able to finally alleviate the problem was through culling. I tried everything on the market, dietary changes, housing alterations, toys...nothing worked for long. And the habit spread through the flock. By the time it was done I had to cull several birds. I ended up being able to rehabilitate 1 hen from the lot of pickers through separation. She doesn't dare pick at any of the other hens now because she is at the bottom of the pecking order.

I hope you are able to resolve this situation shortly. It is an awful habit to try breaking.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom