Hen got attacked by small dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Studio2770, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Our poor cochin Gracie got attacked by our pekingese. I think there are only two puncture areas on her. One on her body and one small one on her head. I think her eye got poked two because she keeps it closed but when she opens it I think she keep the inner eyelid on her eye. Thankfully she didn't endure the kind of wounds our leghorn got. I sprayed some wound cleaner in the areas of where I see wounds and have her in a dog kennel with a waterer and feeder. She's just been sitting in the corned for hours. I don't expect her to perk up. I know she's in shock but I'm wondering how long may she remain in that state without eating or drinking? Do I just giver her space and time?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a bathroom you can put her in and turn the heat up? If she is in shock, she needs yo be warm, 75* room or better.

3. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    I think we can fit her in one. The nights get two the 50s, it's getting warmer here in Texas but I'll see if I can fit the kennel in our bathroom.

4. enola

She needs to be very warm 75-80 *

5. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    It's tricky because it's a large kennel. We have a space heater that I could probably put in front of the kennel. Of course I would keep it at a distance because of the bedding.

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

It could take a couple of days before she shows interest in food or even water. You may have to tempt her to eat with some treats like mashed hard boiled egg or maybe some cut up grapes. Give her at least a day to get over her shock before trying the treats though. She needs to feel safe and comfortable where she is at.

7. enola

She needs liquids to keep her hydrated, food can come when she is ready to eat again. She should not be force fed if she is dehydrated.

8. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Well, we found that she passed. She may have suffered internal injuries. Wish I could've done more. My dog that I've had for a decade passed several weeks ago so this just doesn't help at all. I just don't get how our leghorn was able to survive being attacked by our neighbors large dog.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by