Hen got her leg ripped off last night.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by merry hens, Jan 19, 2009.

1. merry hens

merry hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Oh no!

I went out to let the ladies out this morning and found that something had gotten in the coop last night! [​IMG] One of my hens has her leg competely ripped off, looks like it was just ripped right out of the socket, since I cant see or feel any leg remainders. Its not bleeding badly, and I seem to be more in shock than she is. She just hopped right out of the coop and started pecking at food. Does any one have any experience with gory and traumatizing injuries like this? My family thinks that she should be put down, but by the way she is going about you'd think it doesnt even bother her that her leg is gone. What a trooper.

Mary

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Oh! How Horrible! We had quails attacked that way and we had to cull them-raccoon, we think. I would love it if she survived!

3. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    That sounds horrible!!!! I'm amazed she not laying there bleeding to death. If you can get to to heal without infection she could be an exception! Good luck!!

4. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Hope she continues to pull through.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If it is not hindering her and she is not in pain I'd she how it goes.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by