Hen got punished for staying out all night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by weeders n feeders, Jul 16, 2011.

1. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Last night we had a scare. Hubby went out to put the chickens up and thought it strange that the 2 roosters were in the yard while the hens were in the coop like they should be but then discovered one of my comets was missing. The 2 comets are several weeks younger than the other 4 hens and 2 roosters (got our first egg last Thursday). We've been letting them free range in the yard during the day but I usually shut them into their "blueberry" pen in the late afternoon and then into the coop at night. But the comets usually don't come out into the yard except maybe a few feet from the gate. The two are inseparable and cannot tolerate being more than a foot from each other - they've never been totally accepted by the rest. So the fact that one of them was missing led us to believe the worst. But we and the kids all got flashlights and searched everywhere to no avail.
    Joyful was I this morning after letting them out and walking back to the house I looked once again into a thicket of lantana (which had be checked by the 4 of us each last night) and there she was all hunkered down. I pulled her out of course she squawked like I was strangling her and Happy the roo came running. I let her calm down in my arms and put her down and then Happy laid into to her. Chased her back to the pen and continued to chase her until he finally cornered her and pecked at her till I finally said enough and told him so and shooed him off. Guess she got told though and won't stay out after dusk any more.
    I'm guessing that the roosters were looking for her last night.
    It's good to know my roosters are working men.

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

So glad she's safe! [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Sounds like Mr Roo chewed her fuzzy butt out. Is she a hen or a pullet?

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    "Young lady, your mother was worried sick!"

5. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    They are all pullets right now. Well I guess one hen - we found our first egg Friday morning. Unfortunately my husbands foot found it first.
    We think it was laid the day before. Flock = 2 each prod red,leghorn and EE. They all hatched mid march. The 2 golden comets are about 6 weeks younger. The EEs are both Roos- just my luck. I wanted a colorful egg basket but at least I have responsible pretty men.

6. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    " responsible pretty men" thats the way I like 'em.

Roos that is [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Maybe she just got lost & scared so she just sat down. It gets dark in the woods faster so she probably couldn't see. My flock heads to the coop & spends there remaining time by their coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by