1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen grieving or eggbound?!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiki244, Feb 8, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well I seperated my roosters and one hen has been in a corner sitting for way too long, I thought she was eggbound. well I realised she is sitting really close to where that other rooster is but she cant get to him. I wonder if she wants to be with him and she is just really sad? Maybe I should put her in a different building, I really would like her seperate so I can breed some purebreds.

Chicken raising does not seem as easy as I thought it would be [​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Have you felt her bottom to see if there is a mass in there? Do it very carefully and if you feel something, you can put her in warm water and massage it. Let us know if this is the case so we can give you more information.
    It sounds to me that she wants to be with her roo. Is there someplace else you can put her, maybe with some friends or another roo? Is she in by herself? Chickens are flock animals and like to stay together.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    She felt rather big in the bottom so I put her in warm water and she didnt like that so I sat with her and had a heating pad on her bottom. Now her bottom doesnt feel quite as big but I dont believe she has even pooped. She is in the house now with another roo and she is eating.

4. CarriBrown

Keep an eye on her and make sure she poops. Post in the emergency section if she doesn't and somebody with experience will be able to help you.
    At this point, it could be several things. Is she acting ok now that she's in the house?
    Will she settle down if you just run warm water on her instead of sitting her in warm water? I'm wondering, too, if you should feed her some scrambled egg mixed with oil to help her poop.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I will make a scrambled egg and put oil in it-how long should I wait if she doesnt poop? she looks ok I guess-i just not sure how she is supposed to look...well she is standing and she is not panting and her eyes are open so i will go cook her an egg and watch her

6. CarriBrown

If she's eating, she's got to poop at least a couple times by later tonight.
    Feed her the scambled egg and oil and let us know how she's doing.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

When I lost Tom to the raccoon, Jerry ran all over calling and looking for her.
    The same thing happened when I had to rehome Jerry. Both Slifer and Obelisk looked around for him.
    Then again, when Slifer died, Obelisk went all around looking for her buddy and calling.
    Since she can see the rooster, that might not be it.

If you haven't seen her poop, then she might be constipated. A teaspoon of molasses in her water could help that.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    My hen Pooped!!!!! [​IMG] It was a big one, about 1/3 the size of an egg-it was firm and greenish brown with a white top so I think that is good. And she is standing -outside she was laying in the corner in the straw for about 2 days I think. And I think she might be ok with the new roo. at least they seem to be getting along. [​IMG]

thanks everyone hopefully things will continue to go well!

9. CarriBrown

Great! I'm glad to hear she pooped. It was probably similar to a "broody poop", which is big and SMELLY!
    Keep an eye on her and let us know if you have other questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by