Hen had blood on h feet - otherwise seems fine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by etmt96, May 13, 2016.

1. etmt96

etmt96 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    My 2 year old hen (red sex link) has what appears to be blood on her feet. There are no signs of trauma and she is acting fine. I tried to wash her feet but it seems to be under the skin. Nothing on her legs or anywhere else and all other hens seem fine. Any help is appreciated.

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I would Google "scaly leg mites."

Are the scales on her legs lifting?

Can you post a photo?

MrsB

3. etmt96

etmt96 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    I'm sorry for the late reply- honestly I was embarrassed, but thought everyone in this community might enjoy some good news mixed with humor.
    I immediately brought "Jean" to the house, thoroughly examined her and washed her feet with vinegar/water/soap to try to get some of the "blood" off. Her scales looked fine, there was no discharge anywhere, nothing abnormal. She was eating, drinking and even laying. I kept her at the house with a heat lamp, VetRX in her water & on her wings. Fed her fresh veggies, eggs, etc. She seemed fine but still had the blood tinge on her feet.
    On the third day, as Jean relaxed in the hospital cage on the porch, I figured it out. As I walked around the side of the house, I saw red chicken prints leading down the walk. I figured this is where she got hurt, so I followed. The prints lead straight to and away from a paint can lid of you guessed it.....red paint, Jean is fine and my husband as properly scolded for leaving the lid to an empty can out. Happy Ending, Thanks to all who tried to help[​IMG]

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Lol

Must. Finish. Coop

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by