Hen had impacted crop, still not pooping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by staceyk, Sep 1, 2010.

1. staceyk

staceyk New Egg

Sep 1, 2010
    I am heartbroken and would love some advice. I have a hen, who is approx. 1 1/2 years old, who stopped eating last Friday. Being a new chicken owner, it took me a bit to figure out that it was an impacted crop - swollen crop, didn't go down overnight, etc. I then used olive oil and massage on Monday afternoon and night and Tuesday morning. Late Tuesday morning, the crop had started to go down. However, she has hardly pooped anything solid, she is still pooping liquid with green (I believe that is bile because she is starving). As of this morning, the crop does not seem impacted. I have been trying to feed her some soft food. While she pecks around a bit, the only thing I can get her to eat is bread and a little milk. She is drinking plenty of water, so at least that is not an issue.

I could try forcefeeding her with a syringe, but unless she starts pooping, I'm not sure if I'm not just prolonging the inevitable. She's very, very thin now and I feel just awful because I can't imagine she can live for too much longer. Could it be that her gizzard is impacted also? If so, is there anything that can be done about that?

Thanks for any help.

2. staceyk

staceyk New Egg

Sep 1, 2010
    Also, just to be clear, I used the olive oil internally then massaged. I also used veggie enzyme in water. The crop seems to be working still, but currently, still no poop. She will eat some bread, and I am inclined to give that to her just to get something in her because she's not eating much else.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have your tried yogurt, or a mashed up hard boiled egg, they usually love that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by