1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen had plucked off half my EE roos beautiful beard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trameghan, Feb 8, 2013.

1. trameghan

trameghan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    Alabama
    My Rooster is letting his favorite hen pluck out his beard feathers. She is bottom hen but she follows him everywhere and he prefers her to the other hens. I noticed her plucking at his beard last week and he just stands there at lets her. When she is done, he continues what he was doing. I figured if it bothered him, he would stop her. Today I noticed half his beard is gone! I mean down to bare skin!! Yikes! She only picks at one side because an injury she had as a chick has made her partially blind in her left eye. Why is she doing this and how can I stop it? It looks like she is only plucking the fine, fluffy beard feathers and not any thing else. Everyone else is fine and the other hens won't let her near them for the most part. I feed Dumor layer pellets and they get at least an hour every day for supervised free range time. I also make sure they get a variety of treats and once a week i give yogurt or cottage cheese. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to cull her but I also don't want her to pluck and pick so much she hurts my rooster.[​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I havent had this problem before maybe someone else know what to do ! But Chickens dont like mustard , maybe rub some on the area where shes been picking on, hopefully she will stop !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by