Hen had wing pulled off - question about bandaging

Lil Mucket

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 23, 2010
WA
I had some new hens in isolation in a (giant) dog crate in our woodshed and this morning I discovered that one of them had gotten her wing pulled cleanly off by SOMETHING. I was just about ready to combine the hens and now I will do that tonight after bedtime since I don't want to risk whatever it is coming back for another hot wing.

I do have a question, however. This hen is quite shy and I don't think it's necessary to bring her into the house. She was acting normally and now that I've bandaged her she's acting all funny because her balance is way off. The way I have her bandaged is just padding under where the bone sticks out and then on top of it, then wrapped with an ace bandage. I would like to do something different, though. The last time I had an injured hen she really started to get better when I left her unbandaged, so I'd like to keep the bandage at a minimum.

However, I not only have the "injured hen" dynamics but also the "new hens" dynamics. What I do have going for me is that I only have 3 other hens and I'm adding 3 more so it's not like I'm adding a few hens to an existing flock of 30... they will be equal. I'm concerned about being pecked at a lot.

I may bring her indoors tonight in a box because I don't have any blukote and I can't make it to the store till tomorrow, so would it be a bad idea if I brought her in, put the other 2 noobs in with their sisters in the coop, then tomorrow when I get some blukote, unbandage the injured hen, spray her real good with blukote and let her go? She wasn't acting injured until I bandaged her, so I think the bandage itself is what's making her "act" injured.

Oh - and the bone... the bone sticks out a bit. I think a bunch of it will end up recovered once she heals but should I shorten it? I have no idea how I'd do that.

61352_138.jpg

61352_139.jpg

I wish her a super speedy recovery and KUDOS to you for being such a good mommy that you are taking care of her this way and not just dispatching her. As for the bone, I would cut it down some, I don't think skin will grow back up around it. Might be best to try to cut it down closer to her body. What a sweet little trooper you have. Do you know what got her wing?

Do not put her in with the other hens even with Blue-kote on, this is too much of an injury. They will go after her for sure, keep her isolated and safe until she has healed some then try putting them together and watch to see how they act. If they free range at all that would be the time to put her with the others then see how they respond. but with an injury like that it's going to take some time to heal. Try to keep it as clean as possible to avoid infection especially keep flies off of it. There are products at your feed store that you can use to keep flies from laying eggs and then you have another set of problems maggots. so be sure to keep her where flies can't get to her. I wish you all the best while you are taking care of her injury, they are great at healing given half a chance.

Oh poor thing! I think you should keep her inside for a few days, although she won't enjoy it, it will lessen the risk of infection and also give her the attention she needs. If you have a shower with a door, put a piece of cardboard over the drain, and spread some cedar shavings over the floor.
Also, with the bone, you might want to get a vet to do that. I don't know if you're one of those hard core chicken owners who will cut or file the bone themselves, but they'll probably know what to do. Maybe just a call to the vet and give them the scenario, they'll be able to give you some over-the-phone advice.
I'll be hoping for her speedy recovery!

Oh owch!!
I agree witht he first poster, I do not think the skin will grow up around the bone. If there are any kind of chicken safe pain revelers give her some and cut the bone back as close as you can. That way the skin will have a better chance of growing over it.
Some major antibiotics and some TLC and I think she has a chance to be good as new.

Holy cow. You all arer making my skin crawl. Shorten the bone??? How would someone do that?? Would that cause more pain. I need meds just looking at that.

I really think this one warrants a vet visit if at all possible. I couldn't stop thinking about it all night! How is she today?

Back
Top Bottom