Hen hanging from leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moishe, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Moishe

Moishe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    NC
    One of my hens (Greyjoy) got her foot caught in a gap between a roost and the wall. We found her hanging there, and unfortunately no idea how long. Couldn't have been more than a couple hours.

As far as I can tell, she has no breaks, but her elbow and foot are swollen and she doesn't move any of that very much. I did see her move the elbow joint and hip, so I feel pretty good about her chances of recovery.

I wrapped the joint in gauze and then used scotch tape to secure it in a middle position (not too bent, or too far outstretched).

She's resting in the garage for a day or two and then I'll see how she is doing.

Anything else I should do?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Can she stand?

3. Moishe

Aug 12, 2013
    NC
    She cannot stand.

4. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    Keep feeling her leg to make sure she is fine. Watch how it heals up and make sure she has little or no stress so she can heal faster. If the swelling doesn't go down in a week I would take her to the vet. Make sure she doesn't try to roost with her hurt leg. And most importantly watch her carefully and a lot to make sure she doesn't do anything bad or dangerous.

1 person likes this.
  5. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    X2

6. CptCluck

CptCluck Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ouch, that stinks. Sure is a pretty hen though. Does she try to walk or get out of the box?

Let us know what happens!

7. Kylling

Kylling Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    New England
    Yeah, this pretty much sums up what you should do. She probably pulled a muscle or something if her bones don't feel broken. Good luck with your injured hen!

8. Moishe

Aug 12, 2013
    NC
    She hasn't moved yet. I put her in a nice space in the garage and am watching her. She has been eating and drinking.

9. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    has she tried to roost at all

10. Moishe

Aug 12, 2013
    NC
    No roosting yet. Just happened this afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by