Hen hardly moves

jed1154

Songster
14 Years
Jul 10, 2008
I have a buff that must be a few years old now. Not sure what happened to her, but apparently a week ago she flew from one roost to the other and missed, but hit it hard in the chest or thereabouts. She then started walking...with pain it appears. She had a slight limp. I could see no visible injuries. It has progressed to the point that she will pretty much only move a little in the morning or when prodded or forced to move. She just sits on the ground. Not sure what the problem is or if there is a cure.

Any ideas? I believe she still laboriously makes it to the feeder and waterer, but she isn't looking like she is getting better.

As a kid, chickens that ended up like this stayed that way. The choice to dispatch them soon becomes necessity.

Anything I can check?

I have to agree with Dawg53 on this one. If she is getting progressively worse from a tumble, then chances are she hurt herself somewhere you can't see. Keep her as comfortable as possible, but don't hold out much hope for her survival. Here's the recipe for an aspirin solution:

ASPIRIN SOLUTION

Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.

Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.

Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

It might help to ease her somewhat.

Good luck to you both.

Ya'll must've been right.

She died sometime between the time I made the post and the time I got in to check on her.

sad.png

Back
Top Bottom