Hen has a broken leg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedfogsFlock, Jun 24, 2010.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    I can feel where it's broke. No clue as to where or how it broke. My question is...

can you put a splint on a chickens leg? Right now we have her in our shower, and she just sits there.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Could she still be in shock?? Maybe just resting.

I set my chicken tractor down on a chick and broke her leg (thigh bone) in half, it was sticking out of her skin. She definitely had her spunk though, I thought I would need to put her down and she ran away really fast on just one leg!!!! SO I figured she would do OK even if she was crippled.
    I put iodine on it at night to try to ward off infections, and kept her in the hosptial crate with a chick feeder/waterer just for her. Took about 2 weeks before I turned her out with her broodermates, but now I have a HARD time picking her out from her sisters! [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=349208

I did not tape/splint her leg, because honestly I didn't expect it to be able to heal as well as it did and her leg was just SOOOO small that I could barely work with it. I believe I would try to splint an ault's leg somehow.

3. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Tala thank you I think when I get home from work today I'm going to do a splint with some vet wrap. When I first noticed it hurt she was laying in a nest and bit me. Then later when I went to collect eggs one of our other RIR's came to me makin the "I have good stuff" sound. I look behind me and there they both stood. This time she let me pick her right up. So now she's in our spare bathroom sittin in the shower. I have her layin on a towel with food and water within reach. I will keep you posted on how it goes. we'll see in a few weeks I guess.

At first I thought she may be in shock, but she does eat and drink, and does try to walk. She keeps her leg straight out pointing forwar. I can feel the break kind of high on her leg just below the thigh area, yet above the bottom joint. I don't know how well it's going to work splinting it, but anything is worth a try. Cull is out of the question for two reasons. 1. She's to young still a little pullet. 2. We don't cull any of the original 5. The only time we cull young is if they are suffering, she doesn't look to be suffering. We have an original 5 hens that got us into chickens, & they get to live their lives out happily lay or no lay. She is the last & youngest of the 5 and will be a 'hen' in Sept.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by