Hen has a growth emanating from own of her legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mikecraig80, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mikecraig80

mikecraig80 New Egg

Jan 11, 2013
    One of our Cuckoo Marans have a hardened area on one of her legs and we can't tell if its a wound or a cancer growth. She limps and makes it around okay and eats well, but we were wondering if hens have ever injured themselves by plucking their feathers too much in the fall. We are watching her daily and she's not declining in health so we are seeing if she'll heal in time. Has this ever happened to anyone elseand would you recommend neosporin for the affected area?

2. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't need neosporin if there is no open wound, but just keep and eye on your chicken. I don't know much about that, so lets wait and see what others say. I'm afraid to say that your chicken MIGHT have cancer.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Its possible it could be a cancerous tumor but to really find out she needs to see a vet.
    Do you have any pictures??

4. mikecraig80

mikecraig80 New Egg

Jan 11, 2013
    She has seen a vet and the vet couldn't answer either way (cancer or tumor) she suggested either she'll either die from the "tumor" or heal from the wound - I'll post pictures soon.

5. mikecraig80

mikecraig80 New Egg

Jan 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here's the picture - the best I can do while holding her. It's days later and she is doing good getting around and eating. Even looks like she's getting fatter.

6. kayaxi

kayaxi New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    Hard to see that growth well but it sounds similar to what one of my hens has. She's limping. It's been there a couple of weeks. At first I thought she had some poop stuck to her leg until I realized the next day that it was still there. Now it's oozing a bit. I'm going to treat it with neosporin and see what happens. Any change in yours?

7. mikecraig80

mikecraig80 New Egg

Jan 11, 2013
    The growth is growing bigger but I am not treating it, just keeping her well fed and letting her run in the yard daily. I figure she'll survive it or not. Keep me updated please.
    Mike

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by