Hen has a hard time keeping balance?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thechickielady, Jun 22, 2011.

1. thechickielady

thechickielady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    I adopted a hen today and at first she didnt walk much, so I clipped her nails (they were an inch long and made her feet bend in painful looking ways). I also gave her an apple cider vinegar and water solution to drink (1 tbs per gallon). Then she still didn't move so I gave her a 20 min warm bath in case she was eggbound.

After her bath she did start walking around quite a bit, but she's really wobbly. Her tail will go up and down to keep her from falling forward or backwards, her wings will occasionally go out to keep her from falling to her sides, and she takes quick steps with breaks in between each one.

Maybe she has an ear problem? She looks like someone who just spun in circles really fast for a long time. If you think so how would I treat her ear problem?

Thank you so much!

2. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I had this happen to a hen once. She was very wobbly for about 2 weeks. I isolated her, gave her a little TLC, and she slowly returned to normal. I honestly did not expect her to make it! I still have no idea what caused it, but I suspect she got into something spoiled in the compost pile (I do keep it blocked off, but sometimes they break in). Could also have been a toxic plant.

I hope your girl improves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by