hen has a problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by milliefleur, Dec 5, 2011.

1. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i think she broke her leg but not really shore. she hopes on one leg i picked her up today and checked it out if it is broke it is up at her knee, (her upper joint on her shank) i guess that would be her knee. it didn't feel broke, but after i put her back down she layed on her side and didn't move. i think she is in pain is there something i can do to help her relax. if it is broke what should i do? should i put her in a small pen so she don't have to move much and be close to the food and water? just need some help.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If her leg is broken, take into consideration her quality of life, culling her might be best. However, it could be a sprained ligament or tendon. Jumping down from a high roost or other high place can cause these types of injuries. Lowering roosts and eliminating or lowering high places will solve injury to legs and feet.
    I recommend you place her in a cage or crate for long term rest and relaxation. I dont recommend giving birds aspirin for pain when dealing with these types injuries unless you request it. I've dealt with plenty of leg injuries and I want the injured bird to feel pain when it tries to stand up or walk in a cage. That way the bird wont cause more injury to itself creating more healing time or more permanent damage to itself. Provide feed and water to your caged bird. You can purchase Vitamin B Complex tablets at a pharmacy and crush a few of them into powder and sprinkle the powder over her feed. Continue this for 5 days. The vitamin B complex might help her heal quicker. Then take her out of the cage and see if she can walk. If not, put her back in the cage and continue the vitamin treatment for 1 week, then take her out again and see if she can walk. If not, put her back in the cage and stop the vitamin B complex treatment. Leg injuries take time to heal, like in humans. With chickens, depending on the severity of the injury... it can take a week, a month, or never. Chickens can adapt hobbling around on one leg as long as they are eating and drinking normally. If this happens with your bird, keep her seperated from the others permanently, they will pick on her and try to kill her...survival of the fittest. Also, keep in her mind her quality of life. When that becomes an issue painwise or not "acting normal" as best as she can on one leg, it's best to cull. Good luck.

3. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    thanks for the help, but when i went out to feed them this morning she was dead. so i think it was more then a broken shank. again thanks for the help

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry you lost her.

5. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    thanks she was a sweet heart. going to be different not having her there to greet me every morning. she had a really nice patter on her, and beautiful coloring. just have to find another like her. again thanks for the advice and help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by