hen has a respatory infection.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken farmer 1997, Oct 1, 2011.

1. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    what do i do for her, her sister already died of it.

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I heard Tylan works great for respiratory infections (though i used baytril).

Make sure you quarantine the sick bird away from the other so the infection doesn't spread.

3. chicken farmer 1997

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    how much is it?

4. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I don't know how much it is online because i bought mine from the vet for around $12 dollars.
    I only paid for the amount i needed so it might be more expensive online buying a whole bottle.

5. chicken farmer 1997

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    ok.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wait a minute. Tylan is an antibiotic. If it's viral, no antibiotic will do a thing. You have no idea what you're treating. Could be bacterial, viral or fungal. Viruses will not be affected by antibiotics. Antibiotics will only treat symptoms of bacterial, however, if it's a disease that leaves the bird a carrier, it won't change that status. The bird will remain a carrier like a Typhoid Mary in the flock. Forewarned is forearmed. This is why breeders euthanize birds who show contagious respiratory symptoms.

7. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    speckled hen is right, BUT in my experience Baytril works great. It doesn't make much sense since it is an antibiotic, but when I see mine lookin bad I give 4 or 5 days of baytril and they live. and so far, all the birds that I have given baytril to no longer get sick.
    for mycolplasma I used the denagard once a month and this DOES work, I was told a regimen by a member on here and thanks to her it goes really well. The denagard bottle was like $40, but I have had it for over a year now.
    I can refer you to the lady that helped me if you PM me

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Denagard treats symptoms, but still will not change the carrier status. I verified that so I didn't give out the wrong information. It is the way to keep carriers while keeping their symptoms at bay, but doesn't make them not carriers. In other words, it does not technically cure them of something like CRD.

I just want people to educate themselves about this stuff so they aren't wondering why their birds, who they thought were "cured" keep having periodic relapses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by