Hen has an injured toenail.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mickey76, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Mickey76

Mickey76 New Egg

Jul 11, 2016
    This hen was given to us last night and she had no injuries. This evening she somehow injured her toenail while I was in the coop, but I didn't see how it happened. It bled quite a bit for about 10 minutes, then it pretty much stopped bleeding on its own.

We've only had chickens for a few months, and this is the 1st injury we've had. Does it look like part of her nail is ripped off? Is that part sticking out of the end, her "quick," like I would see if I cut my own nail too short?

Should I do something (if so, what)? Or should I let it heal on it's own and just keep an eye on it? What do I need to be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It will most likely fall off heal on it's own.

If you can, clean off the blood the best you can so the other chickens don't pick at it, or you can separate her into a wire kennel and place her on clean bedding for a couple of days with her own food/water.

Watch for any signs of infection - swelling, oozing, pus or odors.

FWIW Since she is "new" and if you have other chickens, it would be a good idea to keep her quarantined (if you haven't done so) for observation for several weeks. This will allow you to see if she has any illness that your existing flock could contract.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The one Cockerel I had gotten a couple of years ago came with injuries to his feet....One toe was almost gone...The others had missing toe nails.....They healed and I never bothered with them...Chickens heal fast...

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by