Hen has been sick for weeks, could it be encephalitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cheepy-cheeps, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Cheepy-cheeps

Cheepy-cheeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Ocklawaha
    We have a buff bantam hen who is maybe a year or 2 old. Some friends gave her to us so there isn't any real telling how old she actually is and how she was raised. We've had her for maybe 6 to 7 months. She's been a consistent layer but a little mean to a young Brahma hen in the coop. Then my grandmother noticed that she wasn't eating and was very lethargic. Upon picking her up her crop was empty. We quarantined her and supplied her with mashes of boiled eggs, yogurt, and honey. There was no discharge from her nostrils and eyes, and no strange poo.

We treated her for coccidiosis and saw a small improvement. Then we noticed that she had mites so we treated her and the rest of the coop for mites. Her comb is turning a nice red again. She started to show some small signs of improvement. Then my grandmother went to her cage one morning and saw her on her side and she was flopping. My grandmother put her out in a small run in the grass by her self figuring it was near the end. But, when my grandmother went out that afternoon she was sitting up again. Then my grandmother noticed that she seemed to be having trouble eating. She thought that her top beak was too long and impeding her. So, she had me trim it, just a little bit, we don't believe in de-beaking but if a trim helps her eat and keeps her from being mean to other hens its worth it. Unfortunately, I noticed that she is holding her head cocked to the right and lays down with her head to the ground nearly under her.

She first became lethargic about a month ago, my grandmother found her flopping about 3 days ago and I trimmed her beak the day before yesterday. She is tough and trying to hold on, but we have no idea what is wrong. My grandmother is worried that she may have contracted encephalitis, what with the flopping and the neck thing and we have no more ideas on how to help her. Any advice?

2. Cheepy-cheeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Ocklawaha
    No replies, yet. My grandmother and I are at our wits ends, we just don't know what else we can do to help this hen. We're so worried that the crooked neck is permanent. *sigh* I just hope she starts eating finally and starts perking up soon.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I wonder if it's another botulism case:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/botulism.html

There's a thread today referencing another, both have pictures, something about treating with molasses. The main initial symptoms are droopy wings, head hangs. Do a search on those.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
  5. Cheepy-cheeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Ocklawaha
    She passed yesterday. Thank you for your help, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by