1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen has been sitting on the rest for 8 hours?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happyhens44, Dec 29, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    it 10:06 at night and shes still on the nest??? she layed her egg and its past when they go to roost... She has been sitting on that nest for 8 hours. Could she have gone broody? or is it normal someimes for them to sit on a nest that long, my usual hens on there for 30 mins to a hour...

thanks please respond soon [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If you tell us what type of hen/pullet it is, that may help. What breed or mix of breeds is she?

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Im not sure, shes black, with a green tint on her chest. Not feathered foooted about 10 months old.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Give her a few days and you'll know for sure!!

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If she doesn't look like she's straining or in pain, she may be wanting to go broody. Has she layed an egg, or is she still trying to? How old is she? Has she layed an egg before?

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    oh ok [​IMG]

btw here is a pic of her before she started laying I think shes 4-5 months in this pic, I have no current pic.

[​IMG]

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:its quite possible, wait till morning and if shes still on the nest she might be broody. understand that there are many levels of broodyness and while she might stay on the nest awhile (several days) unless she has gone broody in the past you never really know if they will stay on. if she is on the nest in the morning and stays on all day (with the exception of 5 to 35 or so min off the nest) till tomorow night then it is probably fairly same to asoom she is set on being a mother. you can test her to a certain exstent by reaching for her egg(s), and if she flares out her neck feathers depending on how tame she is, she has probably made up her mind. do you want a broody? where do you live?

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    she has layed plenty of eggs before, I dont notice any signs of pain. She yells at me when i touch her, but doesnt bite. And she already layd her egg today. I took it from her to look at it then gave it back to her and she pushed it under her.

9. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:where do you live? are there lots of feathers under her, does she have feathers on breast?

10. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I wouldent mind a broody, and she is really tame, but when I touch her she kind of gets upset, but doesnt scream, she talks kind like saying " hey, Dont touch me!" but doesnt scream loud like my rhode island red. (she Screams good)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by