Hen has black scabby beak

triamarie74

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
My hens are about 6 months old. They're not laying yet, and are quite healthy. However, one has a black scabby growth on her bottom beak, right side under the nostril. It looks like a piece of dried up chewing gum, but it's actually her beak, looking quite disgusting. She's eating just fine, and it doesn't seem to bother her, but I'm afraid it's getting bigger and that eventually that part of her beak will just fall off. There is a small hole in the beak just under her nostril above the black section.
She eats regular layer crumbles, and treats from the garden. She has a roomate that does not have the same problem.
Is this beak rot? I've heard of it with hummingbirds, but I change their water quite frequently and it never smells or looks bad.
These are my first chickens and I don't want them to suffer because of my lack of experience! Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Tria
smile.png

Here's a photo of the problem:
18525_img_3586.jpg

PS She was not really happy about getting her picture taken, must be embarrassing since she's usually so beautiful.

Last edited:
usually happens when fighting with other chickens, i have a rooster that HAD that... now he just has a chipped beak of course if its not badly broken it should be fine

-Daniel

mmm... I'm not sure...
idunno.gif
It couldn't be from fighting, since she's a hen, not a rooster. I'm sorry I can't be of much help at all, but here's a BUMP so maybe some more experienced people will answer you!(COME ON GUYS!!!! START ANSWERING!)
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
fl.gif

Good luck and I'm sure it's nothing too serious.
wink.png

Quote:
hens will fight, I have a bunch that will.. of course their OEGBs. but even rhode island reds as hens will fight and any other breeds. (Leghorns i hear are nasty little things), Just like female dogs will fight, Female humans and many other species will fight. Gender doesn't matter the attitude/personality does
tongue.png
and she doesn't have to fight actually. Another hen could have just beat on her.. or even a rooster

-Daniel

Thank you all so much for responding. The fighting injury idea is very strange since I've never seen them fight. When I got them, there was a third chick that ended up being a rooster, he was a real jerk to both of them and I had to give him to a friend for her hens. Plus zoning in our neighborhood doesn't allow me to have a rooster. They have been very happy since, the best of friends.
I do let them run around the yard so maybe she got into something that cut her? Or maybe a neighborhood cat? I was just worried it was a fungus because then it could get worse or spread to my other bird.
If anyone else has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom