1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen has Bright green watery poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimiggins, Mar 6, 2013.

1. kimiggins

kimiggins New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    On 3rd day with a sick hen. I found her alone in the coop 3 days ago sitting on the ground, caught her (which was too easy) and she had some caked feathers with green poo. I brought her inside, she's in a crate. Did some research, and I've given her some plain yogurt with one drop of neomycin, because it may be a bacterial. She ate a little the first day. Drank some the 2nd day and now she's not interested in anything.She's not moving around much except when startled. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be most appreciated.! \

Thanks
    Kim

2. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Hi,
    I have a hen showing the same symptoms. Have you considered coccidiosis? I'm going tonight to get some meds for my hen. She too has green, runny poo, and doesn't move around much. I've only seen her drink a little bit of water since I moved her last week.

3. kimiggins

kimiggins New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    I did, but usually cocci comes with blood in there poop. I talked with a the woman I purchased these hens from, and she said that it's common because chickens will eat lots of different things; nails, staples, pieces of plastic, styrofoam, etc.., Which I know she did because we insulated a part of our coop with styrofoam, that they can't get to unless the door is left open which my husband did the other day and they pecked and ate some. So it's an imbalance in her system. I've been giving offering her Greek yogurt, she ate some the 1st day, nothing the 2nd and then she started eating late today. Also giving her electrolytes in her water. I read here on BYC about giving them just a drop of neomycin (which is for larger livestock). It's supposed to take care of a bacterial issue. So no grains for her now, just yogurt, greens and a hard boiled egg and some mash. I was worried at first that maybe she could have had an egg break inside her because her vent was pulsing in and out. So I gave her a bath too, which she really liked.

I hope your girl is okay. I also read somewhere that this can happen because of molt, and stress. If you just moved, maybe it stressed her out. Look for pin feathers and try some yogurt. But not any with artificial sugars. Good luck

4. kimiggins

kimiggins New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    My little hen seemed to be doing better late day 3 of this, then she ate a small amount on day 4 and wasn't active at all. Woke up this morning and she's laying on her side just moving her head. Her eyes seemed bright and semi alert but she couldn't stand. I called a friend who knows about chickens and she said she's too far gone. She thinks she might have eaten something that perforated her gizzard and she got an infection. She told me that there's nothing I can do, and to speed up the process to put the hen in a large paper bag and place her in the freezer and not think about her for 3 hour and she'll just get cold and go to sleep. So, that's what I did. I tried everything I could, but these things happen I guess when you've got animals.

I hope your little girl pulled out okay. I talked to another chicken owner (she's got like 100 chickens) and she said a few of her chickens had the same symptoms. She thinks the large amount of crows that have been in the area has something to do with it.

5. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Well, like you, my hen can't stand anymore and just sleeps with ruffled feathers... She doesn't move her head either... If she's not gone by tomorrow morning we are going to put her out of her misery. I wonder what this could be, and I will be giving the man I bought this bird from a serious piece of my mind.

6. kimiggins

kimiggins New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard to lose an animal, especially when you try so hard to help them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by