Hen has dark spots on crown

jlshet

Hatching
Jul 6, 2020
Hello,

This isn’t incredibly urgent, I’m just new to chicken keeping and am a bit worried. I got 3 hens from a local keeper with a large flock less than a week ago, and one of the barred rocks has these dark spots on her crown that none of the other ones do. I looked up something on it but couldn’t tell if it was the same as my hen has, so I figured it’d be best to ask here. If you need any more information to get an idea of what it is, I’m more than happy to add on! I’ll attach a photo of her as well. 368CE0BE-82C3-4027-996C-38526F5076B7.jpeg 4AE12441-AD60-45EC-857D-DBFD78ADC3CD.jpeg A4B0B59D-985B-4467-B60B-DB55E70149A9.jpeg

Could it be mites? Diatomaceous earth in their dust bath area is good for that. I also put bag balm or some sort of Vaseline type ointment on the comb and it usually clears up pretty fast. Hope this helps!

Could it be mites? Diatomaceous earth in their dust bath area is good for that. I also put bag balm or some sort of Vaseline type ointment on the comb and it usually clears up pretty fast. Hope this helps!
Thank you! It turned out to be scabs, I’m fairly sure. They faded after a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom