Hen has diarrhea. Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hikerfrog99, Feb 21, 2014.

1. hikerfrog99

hikerfrog99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I am new to chickens and I have noticed one of my hens has clear watery diarrhea. Looks just like water. Her butt feathers are dirty. She is eating and drinking acting perfectly normal otherwise. What does this mean? How do I treat it and will I need to treat my other chickens?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's hard to figure why this happens. Some precautionary steps would be to insure gut health.
    That means, probiotics and grit.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. Hikerfrog, you may want to look at the contents of diet too. Probios dispersible powder in the waterers for about 3 days a week can be helpful. Use 1/2 tsp per gallon along with a vitamin-electrolyte powder in the waterers. I'd worm them if you haven't and they are 6 months old or older. Safeguard liquid or Valbazen liquid is often available at most feed stores and is given orally at 1/2 cc (standard breed), or 1/4 cc (Bantam breeds) with a syringe and no needle. Dose once and again 10 days later.

If after 2-3 days you don't see normal droppings, I would treat for coccidiosis with Corid 9.6% at 10ml/cc per gallon of water for 7-10 days. If you use the Corid 20% powder, give 1 tsp per gallon of water. Post each day as to whether you see improvement or not. Prevention is the best way to prevent bacterial/protozoa infections. Many people overlook the immune system boost and antibacterial qualities of Ascorbic acid in many vitamin packs. Cleaning water containers daily and keeping birds away from stagnant puddles of water helps too.

4. hikerfrog99

hikerfrog99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    Thank you Michael. I am giving them a medicine for a bacterial infection and feeding them a little yogurt. No improvement yet. I will get some worm meds after the next couple of days if no improvement. I only had gotten them about 5 weeks ago. They are still acting as if nothing is bothering them but I am keeping a close eye out. Thank you so much for the advice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by