Hen has eyes closed all the time

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Caligirl2, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Caligirl2

Caligirl2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Temecula, So Cali
    Hello Chicken Friends, I have a 3 month old Easter Egger pullet, healthy size, that has always been great until about 3 or 4 days ago her eyes were suddenly closed all the time. She still walks around, eats and drinks. She opens them a little every once in a while but doesn't like to. They are dark pink around the outside edges and kind of dried out looking. The pupils look fine and are reactive. I've been giving her natural tears eyedrops for a couple days but doesn't do much.

Today she now seems lethargic, not walking around as much and sleeping a lot. She responds to what's going on around her when there's a change but then goes back to sleep. She has no other symptoms, making no abnormal sounds, etc. Her poop looks fine. I've had her since a chick and the flock is healthy. She isn't vaccinated.

I've put her in isolation now, and have no idea what's going on, I hope it's not some disease. I've been reading my books and nothing matches this. Any suggestions on what it could be or how I might treat her symptoms are appreciated!

2. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Are her eyes swollen like she has been crying? I just had a rooster who had an eye infection that caused him some of the same symptoms.

3. Caligirl2

Aug 17, 2014
    Temecula, So Cali
    Her eyes arent too swollen. The lids are just a bit red.

4. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    HHMMM that is really strange. I can tell you that another BYC member recommended that I put neosporin in his eyes for the infection. I won't lie - I was a little concerned on how it would work. But it worked great! And it did clear it up in a few days. Just a little bit in each eye once a day.

Not sure if this helps - Good Luck!!

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Since she is only 3 months old, I would treat for coccidiosis right away with Corid. That's the most common ailment of youngsters.

6. Caligirl2

Aug 17, 2014
    Temecula, So Cali
    Okay even if she has normal poop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by