hen has heavy full soft belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Darrie, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Darrie

Darrie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Stewart, Tn
    I have a hen that has a full and soft belly, her crop is empty and she walks with her legs far apart and low to the ground. She is eating but not the right stuff. She eating bird seed. Any ides what I should do?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Those are the classic sign of acites, acute liver disease. There are treatments but no cure. Treatment involves removal of the abdominal fluid to make the hen more comfortable. You can do it yourself. There are lots of directions on our search pages.

1 person likes this.
  3. Darrie

Oct 24, 2008
    Stewart, Tn
    should I search here on BYC or someplace else? Not having any luck yet

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree with azygous. How full is she?

5. Darrie

Oct 24, 2008
    Stewart, Tn
    pretty big , bigger than the palm of my hand. Still looking for how to drain her and make her more comfortable.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's my experience removing fluid from a hen with acites. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/633037/acites-operation-a-huge-success

It was successful, but She died of infection from too many sticks. If I had started her on antibiotics prior to the operation and continued them afterward, I'm pretty sure she would have been fine, and maybe lived another six months or so.

I read about an operation where only one stick had to be done, and a tube drained the fluid, but I can't find that one. The less sticks, the less chance of introducing bacteria.

It's not a cure, but it can extend the life of the chicken. Nancy went off bug hunting right after her operation, none the worse for wear, but developed an infection overnight, and it was too late then for antibiotics to do any good.

7. hannah8

hannah8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    Canada
    how does the liver disease start and can it spread to other chickens? does it stop laying production?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by